Writing, editing, research and photography by Ralph Mills
Writing, research and communication
- Submit PhD thesis: Objects of Delight: An investigation of miniaturisation focusing on nineteenth century mass-produced miniature objects in working class contexts, September 2016.
- Presented paper: Cats, Parrots and Napoleons: The Global Materiality of the Nineteenth Century Working-Class Mantelpiece to All Things Victorian conference, University of Portsmouth, March 2016.
- Presented paper: "Buy my him-a-ges:" the importance of figurinai, wandering Italian "image-sellers," around the nineteenth-century world to Cross-National Elements of the Nineteenth Century conference, University of Wolverhampton, February 2016.
- Book chapter:Material Culture in Miniature: The Historical Archaeology of Nineteenth-Century Miniature Objects, in Brooks, Alasdair (Ed) The Importance of British Material Culture to Historical Archaeologies of the Nineteenth Century, University of Nebraska Press. November 2015.
- Presented paper: "Very fine, very cheap, very pretty!" The three-dimensional materiality of nineteenth century "images" at the Association of Art Historians Image Matters conference, Manchester School of Art/Manchester Metropolitan University, November 2015.
- Presented paper: A Little Vertical Archaeology at the Strata Conference: University of Birmingham, Centre for the Study of Cultural Modernity. May 2015.
- Presented poster: A chimney-piece in Plumtree-court, Holborn. Victorian Paraphernalia Conference, The Leeds Centre for Victorian Studies and the Northern Nineteenth-Century Network. Leeds Trinity University, April 2015. (Proposed as paper in forthcoming publication by Ashgate)
- Book chapter: Some Mysteries of the Mantelpiece. In Ireland, Tracy and Lydon, Jane (Eds) (forthcoming 2016). Archaeologies of Memory and Identity. Public History Review Special Edition.
- Book chapter: The Prosaic Platter, In Brown, Steve, Clarke, Anne and Frederick, Ursula (Eds) (2015). Object Stories: Artefacts and Archaeologists. Walnut Creek CA: Left Coast Press. pp 139-146
- Excavation installation: International Ceramics Biennial (with Prof Steve Dixon) September/October 2014
Spode Works, Stoke-on-Trent.
- Presented paper: Material Memories and Spirit of Place in Idanha-a-Nova, Portugal Mapping Cultures Conference, Coimbra, Portugal, May 2014. (Proposed as book chapter)
- MA Disssertation Tutor, Heritage Studies: School of Arts and Media, University of Salford
- Book section: Lost and Found MIRIAD 2014.
- Presented poster: Manchester Metropolitan University Postgraduate Conference, October 2013.
- Interim installation: Exhibition, The Paper Gallery, October 2013.
- Presented paper: Saudade, In search of material memories
at the Design for Desertification Conference, Idanha-a-Nova, Portugal, June 24-27 2013.
- Presented paper: Mischief on the mantelpiece? at the Performative Mischief symposium, Loughborough University, 18th June 2013.
- Presented paper: Bad Things on the Mantelpiece? at the Good Things and Bad Things conference, Nottingham Contemporary, June 2013.
- Presented paper: £0.99 Archaeology: Small Things Considered
at the Contemporary History and Archaeology in Theory conference, York, November 2012.
- Book chapter: Miniature Material Culture In Brooks, Alasdair (Ed) (2015) The Importance of British Material Culture to Historical Archaeologies of the 19th Century.
- You'll find me on Twitter (@archaeologyman), LinkedIn and Facebook: